Monday, August 24, 2009

Touch Of Class

The place in Delhi that baffles me the most is Sainik Farms. This is an illegal settlement in New Delhi and is a supreme testimony of open disregard for law. For the ignorant, Sainik Farm was basically a large tract of land in Delhi left by the government to maintain the greenery. The rich and the powerful bought lands over there for farming purpose. Instead of farming they created huge farmhouses. Now how this happened is anybody’s guess. In India when you are rich, you can play a little with rules and laws. It is your birthright. Lot of politicians have their farm houses here. Mani Sankar Iyar is one of them. I came to know the history of the place very recently when we went there to visit a friend of my wife. When he told that his house lacks electricity connection and all the power comes from genset, I got puzzled. A house worth crores doesn’t have an electricity connection! He then explained me. And he also added that Sainik Farm is on the verge of becoming legalized. Great!


Recently I went to this place again. This time I went there for a party in which I was the host. I was giving my belated birthday party. We went to the place called “Touch of Class”. This place was suggested to me by my wife. I initially protested. Any eating place in South Delhi is always expensive. And a place in Sainik Farm is bound to costly. My wife showed me the menu card online. God bless the person who invented the Internet. I agreed to go there. But the main reason for me agreeing was not the moderate food price. They have a wonderful concept where people can carry their own booze. And people who frequently drink and eat outside will agree that it is the booze which burns a hole in the pocket. So I wanted to visit the place. All my close friends were invited. One of my friend whose birthday party was pending for long wanted to sponsor the Vodka. I gladly allowed him to do the honor. I think he had some doubts if the amount of Vodka available for him in the party will be sufficient. So just to be on the safeside he indirectly wanted to get more. And he has has some geniune reasons to drink a little extra. Afterall he is extremely dissatisfied with his love life. All of his friends are getting married or engaged. He remains single still. So whenever he gets an opportunity to be with near and dear friends, he gets drunk. And he vents his frustration out. And we have no other way out but to listen.


I warned all my friends to reach the venue 7pm sharp. I threatened everybody with dire consequences if they got late. Everybody reached on time except me and my wife. My upcoming investment banker friend was the first to reach. And he was greeted a by a huge board “Liquor is not permitted inside”. He gave me a panic call. I told him not to panic as the board is there just for the sake of it. The place is yet to get a license for liquor. And even if they don't allow us to drink we can drink somewhere else. No big deal. I cheered him up. And i added "Your goal is to go to jail for the largest banking fraud in world's history. And you getting pissed off by this fucking board. Think of a way out. To become a big fraud you have to be a big manage master. Improvise. Innovate". This was too much for him.


The atmosphere of the place is captivating. We sat in the open garden. This place “Touch of Class” is a huge farmhouse with lots of trees and flowers, which the owners have converted to a fine restaurant cum pub. It is ravishingly spacious. I liked the place. We started off with our drinks and Tandoori Chicken. My friend Chandan and his girlfriend arrived late. They got lost. Sainik farm can be a real maze if one does not know the way. We had our dinner and left the place around 11pm. My friends gifted me a T-shirt which looks to be extremely Zango. A friend of mine couldn’t attend the party. He is our mountain guy, a man who wears hills and valleys in his sleeve. His love for nature has taken him to dangerous places. A man who spent his childhood close to the ravines of Chambal. Aggression is in his blood. But looking at him no one will believe in his agression. Get more closer. You will find the real person. He wakes up uttering "Breaking News". Now why breaking news, its a long story. But to put it shortly he has a journalist heart. He unfortunately had to go to office for some urgent issue. Well when you start getting a hefty salary, I guess people expect you to be working on Saturdays and Sundays.


So my advice to all the people who want to drink and eat in a good place but don’t want to spend say Rs 200 per bottle of beer, “Touch of Class” is the place to go. Try it once. Food is excellent. Check out the menu online at http://ncr.foodiebay.com/restaurant/delhi/touch-of-class-sainik-farms-1538.html. You gonna enjoy the place. But make sure you drink a bit because when you gulp down a glass or two you start enjoying things better. Just kidding. Although the place has no liquor license and does business in a hush hush way, it is doing well to a section of the population. And palms of the government officials are getting greased too. A win win situation for all. Long live our democracy. Long Live India.