Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Haan Kar denge! Haan Ho Jayega!

Delhi Rocks! Despite the increasing urban problems like power cuts, water issues, the city as a whole is full of life. Barring Mumbai, I believe there are very few vibrant cities in India like Delhi. But I have one complaint against the Delhi people. They showoff too much. They have an extremely high boastful nature. When a cop catches a car jumping red light, the car fellow takes a threatening approach and keeps calling a hell lot of people to scare the cop. As if he is the son of Manmohan Singh. Similarly, ask any Delhite that can they do a so and so thing. You will never hear a ‘No’. They will always talk about their rich connections. From Gas connections to Children admission: solutions are always available with them. At least verbal solutions. Recently I became a victim of this humbug solution. Delhi’s ‘Juggad’ mentality.


My parents-in-law are coming to our place this September during Durga Puja. While trying to book their tickets in Howrah Rajhdhani I found that no lower berth is available despite some 60 tickets available for online booking. As my mom-in-law is in no position to climb to the middle or upper berth, one lower berth is essential. I informed this to my wife. She in turn told this to her friend. This friend’s mom is in some senior position in railways. This friend called up her mom and told about the situation. Her mom told that she can easily arrange two lower berths so there is nothing to worry. Gleefully, my wife called me and gave me this good news. I told my wife to go ahead despite been skeptical. I logged in again just for curiosity and found no more tickets are available. I told this to my wife. She panicked and called up her friend’s mom. But the lady told that she has considerable influence and the tickets will be arranged.


Now in the evening, my wife’s friend called and told that her mom has booked two tickets but in RAC. I was shocked. I conveyed my displeasure to my wife. She in turn called up her friend’s mom seeking assurance. And she assured my wife that tickets will get confirmed. Besides, there is high possibility of getting a lower berth. And incase lower berth is not available, a lower berth can always be managed in the train by greasing the palms of the Ticket Checker.


So I think by now you have understood the problem with Delhi’s people. I am not saying all are like this but then most are. If you can’t do a thing or if you don’t have some real connection, you should not try to mislead people just to earn some brownie points. This lady screwed up the entire thing. At least in the first case I was still getting confirmed tickets. But then a little greed from my side screwed it up. I have got my lesson. And the other good part is I have understood the meaning of “A bird in hand is worth two in the bush”. Never understood this idiom fully in real life. I have taken a hard lesson now. And one more thing - its no use asking for help from a person who is not in a capacity to help. So beware!