Sunday, July 5, 2009

Life without Onions!

My Tauji passed away recently. He was a retired school master and a man of considerable influence in his village. Although he suffered from Asthma throughout his life, his energy level never went down. I was not with him during his last days but I am sure he must have faced death bravely.

Tauji introduced me to the pleasure of drinking tea from a very early age. He even got me a small pair of a cup and plate. Whenever I used to go to my ancestral village, I used to wake up early only to have morning tea with him. He always prepared his own tea. And whenever I was with him, he prepared my tea too. While having his morning cup, he used to read news paper in his arm chair and I used to devour the supplements and sip my tea. Drinking tea gave me an adult aura. It looked quite a macho thing. Today I am a tea connoisseur. I have tasted extensive variety of tea and according to my friends I make a wonderful cup of tea. Thanks to Tauji for all of this.

Now as per out rituals whenever a family member passes away we are not supposed to eat non-veg. Neither we can have onions, garlic etc. I also cannot shave, trim my hair and cut my nails. This ritual continues for 10 days. Five more days to go.

The non-veg restriction is not a big thing for me. Although I love non-veg but then abstaining from it for one or two weeks is no big deal. But my problem is with Onions. I am dead without onions. But rules are rules. So my wife has instructed our cook not to use onions and garlic in vegetables. And the vegetables taste funny without onion. Earlier my food used to have a Jailalitha and Mayawati style. Extravagant. Full of pomp and valour. Full of onions and oil. Now it’s totally Mamta Banerjee style. No pomp, no valour. Vegetable without onions are tasteless for me. But I repeat rules are rules. I have to follow them. I really don’t understand why one cannot have onions when someone dies. In fact, why such restriction on food? Is our love not enough? But let me not try to be a revolutionary. Only few more days left and after that I get my onions back. Life becomes normal. May my Tauji’s soul rest in peace.