Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Enid Blyton has no literary merit???

Today’s paper had an interesting story. BBC never promoted Enid Blyton and had infact virtually banned her writings from getting airwaves. BBC believed that her writing was second grade and devoid of literary merit. Now Enid Blyton was one of the most successful children's storytellers of the twentieth century. She is the author of Famous Five, Secret Seven and Noddy. Her books have sold around 600 million copies worldwide. Her books have been widely translated in almost all major world languages. According to UNESCO's Index Translationum she overtook Lenin to get the fifth place and is behind Shakespeare as far as translation of her writings is concerned. Now this is no small achievement. Such a widely read author has no literary merit? So what exactly is literary merit? I have read Joyce’s “Portrait of an artist” and honestly I did not enjoy it. But that has huge literary merit. I have read “War and Peace”. Again I did not enjoy it. That also has huge literary merit. But when I was in school I used to read lots of ‘Famous Five’ and ‘Secret Seven’ and I used to enjoy every single book. But those didn’t have literary merit. Now what I feel like asking BBC is what is more important? Writing that gives enjoyment while reading but no worldly knowledge or philosophies. Or writings that is full of philosophy, knowledge, viewpoints but has very less entertainment value. I know people will be divided on this. But to me any story that gives me enjoyment and makes me feel good has literary value. Satyajit Ray wrote “Pancha Pandav” loosely inspired by Famous Five (This is my assumption as I have read all Pancha Pandav stories). “Pancha Pandav” is a big hit among the young in Bengal. So if I have to apply BBC funda, “Pancha Pandav” by Satyajit ray should not have any literary value. Literature is a subjective thing and any debate is futile. But branding something as not having literary value despite been so hugely popular among the young is an insult to the younger generation. BBC could have done better. Shame on them.