Thursday, January 14, 2010

How does it feel to save a life?

How does it feel to save a life? Obviously it feels extremely good. But how does it feel to actually save a life yourself? This is a tough question. You actually need to save a life to answer this question. Few days back if I would have been asked this question I would be without an answer. But today I know how it feels. Humbling, satisfying and extremely heart enriching.

I got this experience last weekend in a freezing Saturday Night. My friend from Faridabad came down with his newly married wife to our place for dinner. He had got a bottle of Teachers Highland Cream as a gift for me. These days Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and intoxication is extremely happy with me. For the last few weeks I am been treated with expensive booze for one or the other reason. Thanks Almighty. Keep it going. We were having a good time inside our cosy drawing room. Outside it must be like 5-6 degree…icy cold. Suddenly there was a muted barking outside. Initially it looked like the barking came from inside our flat. But we don’t have any Dog. My friend’s wife quickly opened the door. A little puppy was standing outside…shivering. It has come all the way to the second floor climbing the stairs. It wanted to come inside. My better half threatened to kick me out if the puppy came inside. So had no option but to keep it outside the door. She got a roti, tore it into small pieces and gave it to him. But it was not interested in the food. It kept on shivering. His eyes were wet. The cold was killing him. We got to make him feel warm..only then he might survive the night. I got a small towel from the kitchen and tied it around his shoulders. We could sense that he felt a tad better but not enough to stop his shivering. My wife gave me a big towel..the one which was generally used for dusting our furniture. It was preety thick and soft. I was overwhelmed by this gesture! Women’s heart afterall! I wrapped the towel around him and picked it up and came downstairs to our garage. My friends also accompanied me. My wife located the best place near the garage…a three side covered area. I placed the puppy there with the towel properly wrapped. The roti pieces were given to him. My friend asked should we give him little Teachers? We decided not to get so much excited. After few minutes the puppy felt better. He looked at us with satisfied eyes and started eating the roti. Victory! He is no longer going to die tonight from this freezing cold. Death has got defeated tonight!