Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why there are so many TV Channels floating in the air?

I really don’t understand why there are so many TV Channels floating in the air….some free some paid…some unpaid. All of them have the sole intention to entertain, to inform, and sometimes hijack the viewer’s mind. Initially it was just the Doordarshan. Now you throw me five six letters at random and I will construct a TV channel name from those letters. The more channels you have the better your social standing. The Tata Sky DTH package that I have taken gives me around 200 channels. My Travel writer friend’s Airtel DTH gives around 250 Channels. And these days even the local cable walah gives no less than 120 channels. We have movie channels, entertainment channels (the ones where serials comes), news channels, sports, regional, lifestyle, bhakti, learning, cartoon…and many more.
Few years back when our government introduced the Set top box concept in the metros, we the customers were delighted. Finally we can get rid of the unwanted channels and get just what we want. But this thing has remained a pipe dream. We always get channels in package. It’s like level 1 has 100, level 2 has 150 and so on. Level 1 might not have the channels which you want to see. So you are forced to take the level 2 or level 3 one. And you end up paying for all those extra channels which you never watch. Lovely country Indeed- Our India.

As far as I am concerned I am only interested in the news channels. I have divided the channels in two categories. News Channels (Times Now, NDTV, CNBC TV18, BBC) and Entertainment News Channels (India TV and Headlines today). There are other news channels but these channels give me everything. I get my daily dose of news, drama, sex, adventure, murder, mystery….virtually everything from them. Let me elaborate. Today I was watching a debate on Times Now regarding the recent IPCC goof up related to the Glacier melting date of 2035..RK Pachauri was having a tough time explaining his position. After some time I got fed up. Enough of climate…first let those idiots decide if the planet is getting heated up or it’s getting colder. I moved to NDTV where people were blasting that monster looking guy Sharad Pawar. After sometime I got so bored of this news and decided to entertain myself. Moved on to India TV. Some Honour killing news was going on…how the girl’s clothes were torn…how she got kicked…every detail was there for viewer satisfaction. Not my taste. Moved to Headlines Today. There was news going on regarding the growing number of foreign prostitutes from CIC countries…especially from Uzbekistan and Russia. All details were given…and they were showing sexy images of various prostitutes captured by spy cameras…obviously the faces were blurred. The picture of their legs, booties were shown as if the channel was telecasting some live show related to “Kohinoor” diamond.

These two channels also telecast various shows from all the reality shows and popular shows. I sometimes seriously wonder why these two channels have been clubbed under news channel category. They should be under entertainment channels.

And regarding all those extra channels which I pay for but do not get time or energy to watch…wish there was a system where DTH rewarded those subscribers who watched the least number of channels despite paying for the maximum amount of channels. I would have surely own some prize.

Hope my plight will be addressed by our honorable government soon and I will finally pay for only those channels which I watch.

Ok I will stop this now. Actually i was on a mission and i think i am successful because after reading this my travel writer friend told that I have written "the perfect shit-storm of crapness". But then writing crap is also an art. Haha. Thanks for reading this crap.