Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Management Consultancy

I have a fascination about management consultants. In fact the division I work with is full of these elites. I am always surrounded by these people, which makes me more and more interested in their work, in their life. Yes, I aspire their positions, I aspire their salary, and I aspire their lifestyles. They keep moving around the globe just as I keep shuttling between my home and office. Unfortunately I do not have the skills neither the qualifications to become one. But there’s no harm in aspiring. No harm in dreaming.

But I have one suggestion to all the companies who keeps hiring the management consultants. Before hiring they should try to look for solutions using the company resources. These guys are paid exorbitant amounts for the work they do. It’s a fact that these people are overhyped. Most of the times they visit the company, keeps interacting with the employees, ask for their suggestions and then recommend the best suggestion as a solution for the problem. And they get paid to do that. Most of the times if the company shares the problem in an open forum with its own employees; an innovative solution will come up and free of cost. But companies are too much fascinated by these management consultants. Yes, they may be good. They are intelligent. But hiring them comes at a cost. So it’s always better to look inside your company for a solution before seeking external help. The companies press the panic button too early. But anyway I will not at all mind getting into the shoes of some management consultant. After all I also love money. As far as the required qualification goes I am thinking of getting an MBA. But when I do not know. Till then I will continue with my dream of becoming a management consultant.