Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hide and Seek with a pigeon!

The place where I am staying these days is full of pigeons. Not the white ones but the grayish ones. The outside space of the dining hall windows is a bit more as the walls are thicker on that side. And these extra spaces of all the flats are occupied by pigeons. All the society flats have lot of windows; people generally keep the dining space window closed as it anyway doesn’t offer much air except in summer. The pigeons with the passage of time have taken this extra space as their birth right. When I first entered the flat I saw a nest over there with two little eggs. I could have easily opened the window but then the nest would have got damaged. Building a home is a difficult task and when you think of these little creatures building one, the case becomes all the more special. So I kept the window closed and put a curtain there as a goodwill gesture. The right to privacy. Let both of us live without disturbing each other.

Off late I have started disturbing her. In fact to be precise I play hide and seek with her. Saturdays and Sundays I keep disturbing the lady pigeon. What I do is peep from the one side of the curtain. And I make the best effort not to let her know that I am watching. But I think she has some radar sort of thing or a motion detector. Whenever I peep she looks at me. And it becomes an eyeball to eyeball confrontation. LOC is the window pane. Both sides testing each other. Waiting for the first move. When I blink or bring my eyes closer to the window panes she flies away. I step back from the curtain and wait for few minutes. She is back again. Then again eyeball to eyeball confrontation. And the way she keeps bending and twisting her neck is amazing. This way that way. Up down. Left right. What stuff is her neck made of?

Sometimes when I peep I find her hubby is also beside her. Or may be her boyfriend. Sometimes they become very cozy. Very interesting scene. I cannot control myself and I peep. Kabab mein haddi. And he flies away. A coward! But she stays with iron determination in her eyes. A mother’s resolution of protecting her unborn. I step back.

Summers have come and I need to open that window for more ventilation. But I have decided not to open that. I guess I can withstand a little extra heat inside my flat. At least I have the option of going into my bedroom and switching on the AC. She hasn’t.