Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mithunda and Dance India Dance

I generally don’t like seeing reality shows where contestants are totally dependent on votes sent by general public. Lot of regionalism and partial judgments comes in to play in these shows and most of the times talented participants are voted out. But recently I have started watching one dance reality show called Dance India Dance in Zee TV. The three judges are Terrence Lewis, Geeta Kapoor and Remo D'Souza. There is a super judge or the grandmaster. It’s Mithun Chakraborty. And he is really the star of the show. The participants are top class dancers. I especially like Salman. I think he has enough talent to give competition to Hritik Roshan. I do not know how Zee TV gets these talented guys. It’s really good to see these guys dancing. It’s so elegant, innovative and energetic. Today Salman was dancing wearing a single skater. I have never seen such thing in my life. What a control!

But the best thing of the show is the presence of Mithunda. He is the ultimate star for me. The real disco dancer. Why do I love and respect him so much? It’s not because I am a Bengali but because I am a very common guy. Just like thousands of others. And for us Mithunda rocks. He is the star of the masses. He never had the backing, never had the pedigree, never had those connections. Still he made it. I think this guy is a living epitome of hard work and dedication. And he commands respect wherever he goes. To me he is much taller figure than Amitabh Bachhan. A true hero.

In today’s Dance India Dance show, Mithunda shared the story behind Agnipath’s Krishnan Iyer MA. Mithun during his struggling days used to stay in a one room municipal flat in Bombay for class D staff. Now Mithun used to pay Rs 75 and sleep on the ground. His friend who was a South Indian used to pay Rs 150 and sleep on the bed. He was rich than Mithun at that point of time. One night a rat entered the flat and bit Mithun. He was bleeding profusely. Somehow he stopped the blood flow and managed to fall asleep. In the morning when his friend was gone he slept at his bed. Unfortunately the guy came back from office early and was furious to see Mithunda sleeping on his bed. His bed for which he pays Rs 150 per month! He shouted at Mithun “Kya re. Tu 75 deke mere 150 Rs bed mein soyega! Tere himmat kaise hua re! Mein lungi utha ke tera wo haal karega re ki tu…”. The dialogue was obviously in pure South Indian tone. This incident gave idea to Mithunda to create the comical coconut seller, Krishnan Iyer MA in Agneepath.

Agneepath remains one of my all time favorite movie. Whenever I see Mithunda, the fighter, the born to win figure in TV, I remember the starting lines of Agneepath. It’s the poem by Amitabh’s father, Harivanshji.

’Vruksh ho bade bhale..ho ghane ho bhale..Ek Patra chhah bhi mang mat, mang mat, mang mat..Agnipath, Agnipath Agnipath; Tu na thamega kabhi tu na mudega kabhi tu na rukega kabhi, Kar shapath, Kar shapath, Kar shapath, Agnipath, Agnipath, Agnipath. Ye Mahan Drushya hain, Chal raha Manushya hain, Ashru, Sweth, Rakta se Latpat Latpat Latpat..Agnipath, Agnipath, Agnipath’