Thursday, May 7, 2009

Why I cant vote?

Today is voting day in Delhi NCR for the 15th general elections. And it’s a holiday too! Despite having a Voter ID I will not be able to vote. Strange right? Well the ID card is from Went Bengal but as I work in Delhi so voting here is not possible. In India you can only vote from the particular ward from where your voting card has been issued. So if I want to vote I have to go to Bengal on 13th May, 2009 and cast my vote. But then that is not possible as travelling such a huge distance and then coming back seems not feasible. The government needs to do something about people like us. There must be lakhs of people like me who despite wanting to vote cannot vote as they work in a different place. I think postal ballot system should be seriously given a thought. But then chances of corruption also increase. India is a land for corruption and it takes pride in holding top position in the worldwide corruption index.

So bottom-line it’s just another holiday for me where I will be sitting inside home doing nothing meaningful. Today I will drive my car in the afternoon when roads will be empty. I desperately need to practice driving. I am going to Lansdowne in the month end. But unfortunately I will not be able to take my car. Maybe after a few months when I am more confident driving. Till I reach that confidence level, let Indian railways earn some extra money!

With nothing much to do for the whole day I have decided to read Alzazira. I am starting to like their English news website. Interesting news presentation. And women in Kenya will no longer offer sex to males. That is their way of protesting against poor governance in their country. The first lady of Kenya is not participating. I think Indian girls should follow suit. These politicians will fall in line once they are deprived of the juicy pleasure.