Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday thoughts!

Sundays are never eventful in my life. Almost all Sundays start with a cup of tea and Times of India. Then I have some breakfast. Once over I pick up some novel randomly and read for a while. And after an hour or so I get bored. I do some net browsing, read a couple of more newspapers online, play some games, do some chatting if I see some friends online and by the time its eleven my wife comes and I have to vacate the PC for her. She plays Scrubbles. She plays this game religiously every Sunday. Ousted from my PC I try to find solace in some unfinished novel but cannot concentrate. I switch on my TV and surf news channels. These days al the channels have only two news: IPL or Vote. Extremely repulsive! Disgusted I try to catch some movie but same old stuffs keep getting repeated. I have seen them all.

Today my Sunday started off in the same fashion. The weather was a little cool today so I decided to read the news paper in the balcony. My balcony been park facing is quite airy. I sipped my tea. Cool wind was blowing and the sky was cloudy. Yesterday Delhi had a maximum temperature of 44 degree centigrade. So this cool air was God’s gift. I earnestly wished for rains. But that was too big a wish to be fulfilled. In the meantime my breakfast arrived. Pasta time. Finishing my breakfast I sat in the balcony again. The society was surprisingly silent today. I guess people are enjoying the cool weather by sleeping a few extra hours. Good for me. I love solitude. I went inside the room and got Shantaram. It’s a really big book of some 950 pages. I am reading it for the past one month. Two gardeners arrived dragging a pipe with them. Every alternate Sunday the park gets watered. I think they should do this every week. A lady in a nearby flat was taking pictures of the park. Her balcony was like 30 meters away from my balcony. I tried to decipher the shooting subjects. Then she went inside and got something. What was that? I gave an intense look. She was slowly moving her hand from one direction to another direction and then she held it straight towards me. Oh it’s a handycam and me reading Shantaram is the subject. I looked down at the book and then casually looked towards her and gave her a mesmerizing smile. I am sure she will be bowled over by my smile. Besides when she will see my bare body I am sure it will serve her in multiple ways. I was wearing nothing else apart from my boxer shorts.

The gardeners have started watering the plants. One of them was holding the green pipe and pressed the pipe nozzle halfway through his fingers. He was spraying water on the trees. It looked good. I could feel the enjoyment of the leaves. They were having their bath. As the water was getting sprayed from one tree to another, the leaves were getting greener and greener. I love green. It’s full of youthful energy. I remember when I was young my dad used to tell me to keep looking at the green paddy fields when we went to our ancestral village once every six months. He believed that by looking at green, your eyes become healthier. Soon it became a habit for me to keep staring at green. Couple of year’s back I got myself in an odd position due to this habit. It was Durga Puja time. I was with my friends when a lady wearing a green sari entered the auditorium. She was with her friends. My eyes got fixed on her. After all it’s green. And then soon I found myself staring at her green breasts. I didn’t realize she was looking at me. All the other girls were also looking at me. Now you see what an embarrassing situation I got into due to my green habit.

But these green leaves are different. The sun was gently getting visible. The leaves sparkled under the sunlight. The dry ground was getting water and that lovely smell was coming. That smell, which comes when it rains after some very hot days. Or the smell of the first monsoon rains. A whistle sound broke the silence of the park. Who the fuck is whistling? I peeped out of the balcony. A society guard with his big lathi was walking towards the gardener. He had an empty bottle in his hand. And he kept whistling. Man you should whistle at night not in this hour of the day. But I guess he was enjoying the whistling. He went to the guy who was watering the plants. With a big smile he told him to fill up the bottle. That guy filled it up. He took the bottle and finished the bottle in a moment. He smiled and told him to fill it up again. The guy obliged. Taking the bottle he walked away. This time he didn’t whistle. He was smiling. I looked here and there to figure out the reason for this smile. I was sitting in the second floor so had a good view of the park and the surrounding. But I guess he was smiling just for the sheer joy of smiling. Happy for no reason.

But the how could he drink that water coming from that pipe. Then I laughed at my naïve thinking. If someone can afford Brisleri water he will obviously find that pipe water not suitable for drinking. But for a security guard mineral water is a pipe dream just like owning a bungalow in Delhi is a pipedream for me. I travel in an Alto. But people riding BMW might think how I am able to sit inside an Alto. It’s such a small car. So the top guys always looks at the lower placed guys in a strange way. That’s the way of life.

My cell phone rang. I picked it up!